These walnut bars are truly delicious and were gone only a few hours after they were baked. They remind me a little bit of brownies.
For the base
- 50g walnuts
- 70g sugar
- 80g flour
- 75g butter
- Grind/cut the walnuts into small pieces. In a bowl, mix the small pieces of walnuts with sugar and flour. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Pat the mixture into a square tin (20cm) and bake for 25 mins in a preheated oven (180C).
For the topping
- 25g butter
- 75ml water
- 40g cocoa powder
- 110g sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 eggs
- In a pot, melt the butter and the water. Whisk in the cocoa powder and the sugar. Remove the pot from heat and put in a pinch of sea salt. Let the pot cool for 5 mins or so.
- After 5 mins, whisk in the eggs and blend everything well.
- After the walnut base is baked, take it out of the oven and pour the topping over it evenly.
- Return the tin to the oven and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Allow it to cool then cut it into squares and dust with icing sugar.
Today felt like the perfect day to make brownies. It was gloomy and cold and when the smell of chocolate filled my kitchen I thought I was in heaven. These brownies were devoured almost instantly – I could not recommend them enough (:
- 55 grams butter
- 200 grams chocolate
- 175 grams brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85 grams white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 70 grams walnuts, chopped roughly
- Put the chocolate and butter in a saucepan and stir until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Put the sugar and eggs in a bowl and cream them together until light and fluffy. Pour the melted chocolate and mix well. Sift in the flour and soda and put the chopped walnuts in, once again mixing the batter well.
- Grease a medium sized (20cm) square cake tin with oil or butter and then pour in the batter. Bake in a preheated oven (180C) for 30 mins.
- Once done, cool in the tin for a few mins and then run a knife around the edges of the brownie to loosen it. Let it cool completely before taking it out and cutting into squares.
Can you believe that a couple of months ago I had no idea what brownies were? But one bite was enough to make me a brownie fan for life.